[uae] Re: Development frozen?

  • From: Andrew 'Truck' Holland <truck@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 12:33:51 +0200

On Do, 14 Jan 2010, Hubert Maier wrote:

> Hi Thore,
>
> > I wanted to ask if there is still life in further development of e-uae.
> > Some time ago I asked for some bugfixes and feature requests.
>
> I wanted to ask myself and second your question.

Ok, I take it you guys haven't been reading the list.  A summary, then:

 - Richard Drummond, the main guy behind e-uae, has dissapeared.
   Last message to this list/code update was 2007 or so.
   Repeated attempts to see if he's ok have resulted in nothing.

 - His source is out there as WIP4.

 - An ENTIRELY DIFFERENT PROJECT - puae, for the pandora handheld, but
   developed on linux, is being worked on by Gnostic/Bronx (Mustafa.)

 - This is in pre-alpha.  Sometimes it works.  Sometimes it builds.

 - When it works, it's very nice. A500 emulation is closer to winUAE.
 - It's based on merging the E-UAE and WinUAE sources.
 - I've not had it run an A1200 or any HDF (rdf or non) successfully.
 - Again, it's pre-alpha.  But it's being worked on. You can see messages
   on this list about it, the git repo, rapidshare, etc.

> Aswell as i would like to ask if someone would be able to do ports (or help on
> those) to other strange platforms (like AmigaOS...ever heard of this?) :-)

I use that one, and yes, I'm working on it.

> I myself could do it, but being a complete noob i am certain to get into
> troubles
> while building and those to fix i would be in need of help by more advanced
> people

If you're just PORTING, you basically have "it works" or "it doesn't" and then
you supply patches to get it to work on your platform.  The biggest issues
will be endian issues, but those are already somewhat addressed with the ppc
osX/Linux builds.  Sort of.  Again, all current development is pre-alpha stage.

- Finally - yes, there has been discussion of moving this stuff from the
  e-uae specific mailing list t somewhere else.

  From my perspective, it may be better to move the development to another
list, and keep this list for 'use' questions - i.e. "How do I get my printer
to work."  But this is fairly low traffic, so people SHOULD be able to weed
out the dev messages vs the use case messages.