[u3aavcuss] Vista Error Code 8E5E03FA

  • From: Ron & Rosemary Meadowcroft <ronandrosemary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Comp Users GroupU3A <u3aavcuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 17:28:02 +0100 (BST)

Hi

I have no particular experience with this Vista error code  8E5E03FA but a
straightforward Google search came up with a number of possible routes:

 Probably the best answer is given here :

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-windows_update/vista-update-errors-8e5e03fb-8e5e03fa/92d73548-eb8b-4e70-ac45-73f8693df77b

If the issue persists, you may try to follow the steps below and run Windows
Update on your computer. It might help us fix the issue.
1.  Restart the computer in safe mode (to restart in safe mode keep tapping F8
key during restart).
2.  Click in start and in Start search box type CMD.
3.  In the list Right click on CMD and click Run as Administrator.
4.  At the command prompt, type net stop cryptsvc.
5.  Rename C:\windows\System32\Catroot2 to Catroot2.old.
6.  Open C:\windows folder, and then rename the SoftwareDistribution folder as
SoftwareDistribution.old.
7.  At the command prompt, type net start cryptsvc and press enter
8.  Restart the computer in normal mode
9.  Run the updates and verify if you are able to get the updates without any
errors.

Hope it helps.
Thanks and Regards,
Srinivas
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Often by searching on Google you will find others who have experienced similar
problems. Whether you act upon these suggestions is a matter of what level of
risk you are prepared to take as you are meddling with the system files which
can be a very risky procedure. If you do decide to take this root make sure
that you have fully backed up your PC before you do anything and be prepared to
re-name the files back again if it doesn't work.

I have once done a similar thing in Vista when the file holding my password
became corrupted and it was a bit of a last ditch effort to regain control of
my laptop! But I would certainly not do it if I had another choice.

Bye Ron M :-)