[u3aavcuss] Problems with Vista

  • From: Ron & Rosemary M - U3A <ronandrosemary62-u3a@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Comp Users GroupU3A <u3aavcuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 17:16:02 +0100 (BST)

Dear Betty

I think the answer to your problem may well be that on 12 July 2011 Microsoft
have stopped issuing security updates for Vista Service Pack 1.
See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help/end-support

You say that you have Service pack 2 but Windows might not be recognising this
because of your problems. Why not try to download Service Pack 2 again using
the link from this page. This should load all the updates released since SP1
and presumably write the files into the correct places.

For the benefit of other members, you will see that support for Windows XP ends
8 April 2014 and for XP Service pack 2 ended on 13 July 2010 XP Service Pack 3
should now have been installed and can be accessed from this link.

I have been sorely tempted to update Vista on my laptop to Windows 7 which I
use on my PC as Windows 7 is certainly far superior but I haven't convinced
myself yet as I do not use the laptop often. The cheapest Windows 7 upgrade I
have found is from Software4Students at £50 but you do need to convince them
that you have some tenuous link to the academic world such as a grand-child at
school! Maybe I should bite the bullet for once.

Bye Ron M :-)