[u3aavcuss] Photo Storage

  • From: "Mike Bean" <Mike.Bean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <u3aavcuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 18:31:11 -0000

Pat,

You will probably get several view on this ... I?ll give you my penn'orth!

DVD Disks

DVDs come in a number of formats but what make the most difference, in the
case you describe, is if there's a W in the name.

DVD-R and DVD+R disks are write-one media - each time you add a document or
picture it's written to the disk and that space may never be re-written.
There's a lot of space on a DVD so you can store a lot of pictures but
eventually you run out of space. If your software allows you, you can store
a picture with the same name again on the DVD but this will take up
additional space and the original would be permanently inaccessible.

DVD-R / DVD+R then are excellent for permanent storage or backup of pictures
and documents. I keep 1,000s of pictures on my PC and occasionally backup
the last few months-worth of pictures on one or more DVDs. If I were to lose
the hard disk of my PC then I would turn to the set of disks dating back to
heaven-knows when to restore them in turn. (This is a bit of a pig so I
sometimes make a fresh copy of the whole lot, 10 DVDs last time)

W Disks (Re-Writable disks)

DVD-RW and DVD+RW disk are quite different as they can be written as regular
DVD but files can be deleted and the space re-used just like a Hard Drive or
Memory-Stick etc. A significant improvement for some usage types!

The significant downsides of DVDs generally are:

a) the speed of access (they are relatively slow)
b) you have to keep track of where they are and what they contain
c) some software chokes a bit on formatting DVDs (not many) and finalizing
for use on other PCs

External Hard Drive

Available as network or USB connected devices - these are an excellent way
of storing large quantities of pictures etc. Often as fast as a PC's own
hard disk and, for the USB type, readily used on another PC (or UNIX, LINUX,
Apple MAC, etc.). The cost of disk has dropped considerably and, for
example, a 1,000,000,000,000 disk (1 terabyte) now costs only £80 odd.

Memory Stick/Flash Drive

These can be viewed the same as External Hard Drives without moving parts. I
have had a number of small (pocket sized) sticks that have worked well but
two did fail - For this reason I don't trust these as much as other storage
devices. However I have a 64Gb flash drive that has worked fine for 5 years
... so who's to say!

My take on this ...

I use DVDs for archive / backup where I never intend to use them - they are
insurance. I use external hard drives for rarely-used files and the main
hard drive all the time (obviously).

Mike