[triadtechtalk] Re: Windows XP

  • From: RPRKOCVGGPED@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 18:42:16 -0700

From: cabehogan

> --from "cabehogan" <cabehogan@xxxxxxxxxxx>--
> --reply triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> ***  Triad Tech Talk
> (www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=triadtechtalk) ***
>

> Anyone got any comments to make on the new Windows
> XP to be released in October?  From what I have
> read in a couple of reviews, it is going to be the
> problem solver for all us Win98, 5.5, 5.1, etc.,
> folks and if I read correctly it will include a
> go-back feature which will save those of us who
> goof up an easy way out of messes we get ourselves
> into at times (or most of the time for some of
> us)!  ; )  Even though my machine is running
> smooth as silk now (FINALLY), I think that I will
> upgrade as soon as it is released unless further
> reports uncover problems that the present reviews
> have possibly missed!
>
> .......clarence.......

Here's what I can tell you:

1. In spite of what the Linux crowd would tell you, it is based upon a core
that is as stable as Linux.

2. It is designed to be compatible with Windows 9x/ME, and supposedly
succeeded well.

3. It is widely praised by people who reported that they hated 98 and ME.

It does have its flaws, such as you need to call Microsoft to install it the
first time on any new machine, or any heavily rebuilt old machine (only
heavily rebuilt, supposedly). However, it is, as best I can tell (and I
haven't really used it myself) the best thing Microsoft has put on a home
user desktop to-date.

I'd say, "Go for it."

David Nasset, Sr.