[triadtechtalk] Re: Putting used XP computer online

  • From: "ROBERT BURGER" <RobertBurger36@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 00:02:28 -0400

Yes, I do have a router.  It is setting on the dining room table.       It is a
D-Link Model Dl 604.

I have DSL thru Verizon.  When I shut down the computer, Verizon takes back my
address and puts it into a pool.  Next time I sign on, I get a different
address.  That helps a little.

I have read that the original firewall in XP was turned OFF by default.  The
new firewall is turned ON by default and blocks incoming stuff but does not
block the outgoing stuff, assuming that if it comes from your computer, then it
must be OK. Bad assumption, if you have some bad stuff on your hard drive that
wants to call  home.

I have free Zone Alarm on my Win98.

I am glad that I can download in Win98 and transfer the stuff to XP.  I read
some stuff before on XP but since I did not have XP, I just glanced at it.
Just retained enough to be dangerous.      Just because I am a little paranoid,
doesn't mean that they are not out to get me.

Robert