[triadtechtalk] Putting used XP computer online

  • From: "ROBERT BURGER" <RobertBurger36@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "TriadTechTalk" <TriadTechTalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 00:39:19 -0400

Hi,

I have a Win98 computer and bought a used XP computer.  I have MSN with DSL and
AOL with DSL (got both for $23) on the Win 98 and plan to install both on the
XP computer.

Can I download AVG, Zone Alarm and other anti-malware programs on my Win98
machine, copy them to a USB drive and copy them to my XP before I connect to
the web?  I think not because FAT32 is not compatible with NTFS.  True?  Or can
XP read both NTFS and FAT32?

I have read that an unprotected computer can be infected within 20 minutes (12
minutes according to Sophos) of connecting to the web.  If this is true, what
is the best way to get the XP computer protected as quickly as possible.

1.  Install AOL version 9.0 on XP and use the dialup modem to download the AVG
and other programs limit my exposure.  AOL has a built-in A/V.

2.  Install MSN on XP and download the programs via DSL.  MSN has Webroot Spy
Sweeper for A/V.

3.  Buy a boxed version of an A/V and install it on XP.

If I am connected to the web with either MSN or AOL, can I still get infected?
Can the "bad guys" use other open ports to get to me?

Thanks,

Robert