[triadtechtalk] Re: Old Pentium won't boot to Windows

  • From: RobertHenr@xxxxxxx
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 21:54:38 EDT

Hi Howard,

 I finally got to the A prompt where I typed in format C:/s but when it got
to 15% it hung.  Did it again and it stopped at 9%; did it again and it stopped
at 24%.

 If I boot without any disk it stops and says

NO ROM BASIC
SYSTEM HALTED

If I boot with a Win98 Startup disk, I get 3 choices, Wihout CD-ROM, With
CD-ROM and MOre Info.  But then some more files are missing.

 With my old boot disk, it used to list a bunch of bad or missing files but
it went by so quickly that I never did read it.  It kept on going and then
everything worked OK.  Finally pressed PAUSE and read what files were bad or
missing.  They are:

Bad or missing C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
Error in Config.sys  line 1

Bad or missing C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE
Error in Config.sys  line 2

Bad or missing C:\DOS\Setver.exe
Error in Config.sys  line 8

Bad or missing C:\SB16\DRV\SBCD.SYS
Error in line 9

HMA not available Loading DOS low

A:\> Set Blaster =A220  I5  D1  H5  P330  T6
A:\> LH  C:\MOUSE\MOUSE

Don't know if any of these bad or missing files are causing my format to hang.