[triadtechtalk] Re: Old Pentium won't boot to Windows

  • From: Armando Barreiro <avbsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 00:37:07 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Obviously, from your previous message stating " invalid drive specification" is
what you're
given, then you need to partition and format the drive and then load an
Operating System.

Here's that thread:
In a message dated 7/26/04 8:57:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
avbsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
When at A:\
type  C:\  and tap on "Enter"

If you get a C:\ prompt type dir

What does it say?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    It says, "Invalid drive specification".

---------------
And the drive is good, for in a previous message you stated:

Hi,

I was given an old Pentium computer (A-Open) with no info. Using one of my
old boot disk I can get to the A prompt.  But then it is a "no go" when I type
in Win 3.1, Win98, etc.  I get  6 lines of "Invalid drive in search path" and
then "Bad command or File Name".  My old 486 computer was set up so that the A
prompt showed and then I would type Win 31 to get to Windows or some other
combination (like WH for World History) to get to different programs.  I
checked
the connections and everything was tight.  Someone suggest that I use Fdksk.
I have never used Fdisk but this is what I get when I use it.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

 Fdisk.exe gives me:

1. Create DOS partition or logical DOS drive
2. Set active partition
3.Delete partition or logical DOS drive
4. Display partition info
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
When I click on number 4, I get:

Partition     Status         Type              Mbytes          usage
1                  A         Non-DOS             1624              100%
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Clicking on number1, I get:

Current fixed disk drive  1
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Clicking on number 2, I get:

 The same as clicking on number 4 with the addition of:
 "The only startable partition on drive 1 is already set active"
Clicking on number 3, I get:

1. Delete Primary DOS partition
2. Delete extended DOS partition
3. delete Logical DOS drive(s) in the extended DOS partition
4. Delete Non-DOS partition

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
I assume that I should delete number 4, the non-DOS partition, but am a leary
of deleting anything when I don't know what I am doing.   :-)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Robert in NE PA
So..., the drive is good and ready for you to put it to use.

Boot with the windows 98 boot floppy
Fdisk, choose 4, del non-dos partition.
then 1. Create DOS partition or logical DOS drive

Being a 1.5 GB capacity I surmise you will want to make use of it all as one
volume,
i.e., no additional logical partitions. Do name the volume when asked to do so.
(TRIAD)
When you're asked if you want to make the partition active say YES
Once partitioned, then you will have to reboot with the floppy you will
format C: . When done, then reboot with the floppy, using the "with CDROM
support" choice.

Place the Windows CD in the drive and install your OS.

At this site
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
you can download an image of Windows98 OEM boot floppy from either of 2
locations (Alt1 & 2)
You save it to desktop(for instance) and put a floppy in your floppy drive
and double click on the file you just downloaded and it will format the floppy
and write a boot disk that will allow you to do all the fore-mentioned steps
to fdisk, format and load the OS in your PC, via the supported CDROM.

Remember to read the guidelines I previously offered you to familiarize yourself
with the steps you need to implement. Have fun. 8)

HTH,
Armando