[triadtechtalk] Re: Dual boot OS option

  • From: "Bruce Eddy" <beddy1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 16:51:27 -0400

Hello, Howard...When you formatted the C:\ drive, you wiped out some very
important files that win 2K needs to do the dual booting...Like NTLDR, the
boot.ini..and a couple others..You will need to reinstall Win2K. You 'may'
be able to do it with a 'repair' instead of a reinstall..I'm not familiar
with the repair feature....

I had an MS tech walk me thru this for a different problem on a 'system from
hell' I built earlier this spring...When you install Win2K it drops the
above mentioned files on your C:\drive and the rest goes to the your
d:\drive.....right now your Win2k folder on your D:\ drive is probably
called D:\winnt?? It's been a while since I ran Win 2K but someone will
correct me if I'm wrong..:)))

When we did the reinstall, the Tech had me install Windows 2K into a
different folder other than the default folder....so we named it something
like d:\winntA, or something like that..Just something to give it a
different folder name....Then when the install was finished, we made sure
the system would dual boot into both OSs...Then he had me edit the boot.ini
on the root of the C:\ drive ( which now referenced the new D:\winntA) and
had me remove the letter A....Save the file and shut down....So Now when we
rebooted, the OS boots into the old Windows 2K folder and my client got all
his old stuff back, all his settings, folders files..everything was still
there...If we had not changed the folder name, the tech said we would have
lost a lot of his old data...By doing it this way everything was back to
normal after I made the change in the boot.ini file.

Someone with windows 2000 please correct me if I'm wrong about the Winnt
folder?? I've been beta testing XP for the last few months and I'm a little
rusty on Windows 2K folders....

HTH,

Bruce
beddy1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx