[torontocbm] Re: Planet Quarx

  • From: Robin Harbron <macbeth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: torontocbm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 13:15:46 -0400

Frank at Games That Weren't 64 wrote up a quick page for Planet Quarx which you can read here: http://www.gamesthatwerent.com/gtw64/planet-quarx/

Feel free to send them any other information that's discovered. They've found literally hundreds of missing games over the years with help from people like you and I.

That's great if Syd has an inside track on this, I hope something is found.

Robin

On 2015-04-17 9:26 AM, Syd Bolton wrote:

Kevin - I did show them the press release, but no luck with jogging any memories. I'm going to try and see if we can find a copy in our archives at the museum - but it will likely be a slow process.

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 3:22 AM, Kevin Casteels <alterus@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:alterus@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

That's very true. It's possible the game was only sold in RTC's
actual store, as the price tag on the disk jacket says "Richvale
Teleceoomucations $4.95". Its a price tag from their store...

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 12:16 AM, Robin Harbron
<macbeth@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:macbeth@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

I don't think that "PET Pourri" write-up is actually a
review. It reads just like a news release from RTC. That was
a common practice both then and now, where the magazine editor
does little or nothing but basically printing whatever they're
sent.

So I don't think it's a given that the game was actually
released or sold to the public. Even if that is a review
written by the magazine's staff, it still isn't proof of a
release - RTC could have sent the magazine a copy for review.

Robin.

On 2015-04-17 2:27 AM, Kevin Casteels wrote:
Thanks for the replies!

Syd, I downloaded and played Quarx 9 and it is definitely not
that game. It is possible that the game was renamed... I'll
see if I can find other RTC games and try them out. Maybe its
one of those, though I doubt that is the case. The game
review in Pet Pourri (the link in my original email)
describes the games as I remember it, so it was definitely
sold to the greater public. The first level consisted of
dodging asteroids and I remember it being quite hard. Could
you possibly show the former RTC employees you know that game
review? Maybe it will jog their memories. Here is the link
again (page 5):

http://www.bobnj.com/cbm/articles/KilobaudMicro/1983_12%20PET-pourri.pdf

Robin, if nothing else pans out, I will definitely consider
sending the disk to someone with more sophisticated data
extraction techniques, although I fear the disk is totally
blank... It started going bad in around 87 or 88, so might
not be much hope. And it is mostly definitely not that
Jupiter Lander clone, Planet Qwarrks...

Kevin

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 7:34 PM, Robin Harbron
<macbeth@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:macbeth@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

I assume it's not the game "Plantet Qwarrk" found
half-way down this Hungarian C64 site's page:

http://c64hq.hu/games/p/p3.htm

Although the game is about 1983-quality, it's more of a
Jupiter Lander clone than what you're describing about Quarx.

Robin.

On 2015-04-16 4:21 AM, Kevin Casteels wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to the mailing list here and this in
my first post. I grew up new Cobourg, Ontario and
have always been into C64 stuff, but until recently I
wasn't aware of the TPUG. I wish I had known
before... Now I live in Victoria, BC and meetings
are a bit far!

I have a bit of a mystery... I recently began
archiving my collection of floppies to .d64 and there
is one disk which I was really hoping to recover. As
a kid it got corrupted and stopped working but I was
hoping I could at least salvage something using
Zoomfloppy or my 1541u2. Well its totally gone...
Nothing at all left on the disk. The game in
question is called Planet Quarx by RTC (Richvale
Telecommunications). They were based in Richmond
Hill, Ontario so I was hoping that someone on this
list might know something about it. I was able to
find a review of the game here:

http://www.bobnj.com/cbm/articles/KilobaudMicro/1983_12%20PET-pourri.pdf

on page 5, top right. Basically its a game where you
start out dodging asteroids on your way to Planet
Quarx, and when you finally get there you fly around
on the surface. I've also attached a picture of the
disk, in case it helps. I have been unable to find
this game in any of the online collections of
archives and it would be really great if someone has
a copy!

Thanks,
Kevin