[torontocbm] Re: Planet Quarx

  • From: Robin Harbron <macbeth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: torontocbm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 22:24:43 -0400

Hi, thanks for sharing about this!

It's interesting that it's a C64 game, and yet your scan of the disk shows that it's "4040 format" which is typically a PET format.

When a game isn't in GB64 then typically there's a Games That Weren't entry ( http://www.gamesthatwerent.com/gtw64/ ) but they seem unaware of the game too! So I wrote them about it. Feel free to contact them about it too; they're quite good at tracking down old games. But maybe you have the only remaining copy. There's a chance one of their wizards can pull some data off it even if you can't, if you're willing to mail it to them.

Robin

On 2015-04-16 4:21 AM, Kevin Casteels wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to the mailing list here and this in my first post. I grew up new Cobourg, Ontario and have always been into C64 stuff, but until recently I wasn't aware of the TPUG. I wish I had known before... Now I live in Victoria, BC and meetings are a bit far!

I have a bit of a mystery... I recently began archiving my collection of floppies to .d64 and there is one disk which I was really hoping to recover. As a kid it got corrupted and stopped working but I was hoping I could at least salvage something using Zoomfloppy or my 1541u2. Well its totally gone... Nothing at all left on the disk. The game in question is called Planet Quarx by RTC (Richvale Telecommunications). They were based in Richmond Hill, Ontario so I was hoping that someone on this list might know something about it. I was able to find a review of the game here:

http://www.bobnj.com/cbm/articles/KilobaudMicro/1983_12%20PET-pourri.pdf

on page 5, top right. Basically its a game where you start out dodging asteroids on your way to Planet Quarx, and when you finally get there you fly around on the surface. I've also attached a picture of the disk, in case it helps. I have been unable to find this game in any of the online collections of archives and it would be really great if someone has a copy!

Thanks,
Kevin