[torontocbm] Re: Planet Quarx

  • From: Syd Bolton <sbolton@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "torontocbm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <torontocbm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 09:26:01 -0400

Kevin - I did show them the press release, but no luck with jogging any
memories. I'm going to try and see if we can find a copy in our archives at
the museum - but it will likely be a slow process.

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 3:22 AM, Kevin Casteels <alterus@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

That's very true. It's possible the game was only sold in RTC's actual
store, as the price tag on the disk jacket says "Richvale Teleceoomucations
$4.95". Its a price tag from their store...

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 12:16 AM, Robin Harbron <macbeth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I don't think that "PET Pourri" write-up is actually a review. It
reads just like a news release from RTC. That was a common practice both
then and now, where the magazine editor does little or nothing but
basically printing whatever they're sent.

So I don't think it's a given that the game was actually released or sold
to the public. Even if that is a review written by the magazine's staff,
it still isn't proof of a release - RTC could have sent the magazine a copy
for review.

Robin.

On 2015-04-17 2:27 AM, Kevin Casteels wrote:

Thanks for the replies!

Syd, I downloaded and played Quarx 9 and it is definitely not that
game. It is possible that the game was renamed... I'll see if I can find
other RTC games and try them out. Maybe its one of those, though I doubt
that is the case. The game review in Pet Pourri (the link in my original
email) describes the games as I remember it, so it was definitely sold to
the greater public. The first level consisted of dodging asteroids and I
remember it being quite hard. Could you possibly show the former RTC
employees you know that game review? Maybe it will jog their memories.
Here is the link again (page 5):

http://www.bobnj.com/cbm/articles/KilobaudMicro/1983_12%20PET-pourri.pdf

Robin, if nothing else pans out, I will definitely consider sending the
disk to someone with more sophisticated data extraction techniques,
although I fear the disk is totally blank... It started going bad in around
87 or 88, so might not be much hope. And it is mostly definitely not that
Jupiter Lander clone, Planet Qwarrks...

Kevin

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 7:34 PM, Robin Harbron <macbeth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I assume it's not the game "Plantet Qwarrk" found half-way down this
Hungarian C64 site's page:

http://c64hq.hu/games/p/p3.htm

Although the game is about 1983-quality, it's more of a Jupiter Lander
clone than what you're describing about Quarx.

Robin.

On 2015-04-16 4:21 AM, Kevin Casteels wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to the mailing list here and this in my first post. I
grew up new Cobourg, Ontario and have always been into C64 stuff, but until
recently I wasn't aware of the TPUG. I wish I had known before... Now I
live in Victoria, BC and meetings are a bit far!

I have a bit of a mystery... I recently began archiving my collection
of floppies to .d64 and there is one disk which I was really hoping to
recover. As a kid it got corrupted and stopped working but I was hoping I
could at least salvage something using Zoomfloppy or my 1541u2. Well its
totally gone... Nothing at all left on the disk. The game in question is
called Planet Quarx by RTC (Richvale Telecommunications). They were based
in Richmond Hill, Ontario so I was hoping that someone on this list might
know something about it. I was able to find a review of the game here:

http://www.bobnj.com/cbm/articles/KilobaudMicro/1983_12%20PET-pourri.pdf

on page 5, top right. Basically its a game where you start out dodging
asteroids on your way to Planet Quarx, and when you finally get there you
fly around on the surface. I've also attached a picture of the disk, in
case it helps. I have been unable to find this game in any of the online
collections of archives and it would be really great if someone has a copy!

Thanks,
Kevin