[tn-moths] Current Tennessee State List

  • From: Douglas Downs <douglas_downs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tn-Moths <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 19:13:11 -0500

To all,

Attached you will find the latest Tennessee State Moth List, current as of
06-07-2011.  Since the last update of 03-24-2011, we have added 74 new species
statewide, bringing the state total to 1,712.  Five (5) species have been
submitted that I have not included on the list pending further verification.  I
do NOT consider myself a moth expert by any stretch of the imagination, but the
five withheld species present some logistical problems (namely range) and
probably need to be submitted to "higher authorities" for absolute
confirmation.  I hope this approach is not offensive and I am not trying to
judge anyone's skills.  My goal is simply to keep the list as "clean" as
possible.

Below is the list of the five species in question and my reason for concern.  I
do not know who submitted them (obviously it is nothing personal), so please
check them against your own personal lists.  If you have one of these
"questionable five" in your collection, please let me know how you went about
identifying the species and what "authorities" you might have consulted in the
process.  Also, if others on this listserv have a problem with what I have
done, please let me know.  Again, my goal is not to insult or assume any sort
of "expert" role.  I, too, am a learner in this process and just want to keep
our state list as accurate as possible.

0976 - Ethmia semilugens (Documented from Texas to California and north to
Colorado and Utah)
3531 - Acleris hastiana (Documented only in Pennsylvania, Washington, and
Oregon)
5343 - Immaculate Grass-veneer (Crambus perlellus) (Documented only in
Northeastern US and Canada to the Pacific)
7394 - White-banded Toothed Carpet Moth (Epirrhoe alternata) (Documented onlt
in Northeastern US and Canada to the Pacific)
7830 - Tetrio Sphinx (Pseudosphinx tetrio) (Documented exclusively in South
Florida)

Apologies for the long posting and thanks to all for their ongoing dedication
to the moths of Tennessee.

Doug Downs
Sparta, White County, TN