[tn-dragonflies] Re: late season dragonflies

  • From: "Allan Trently" <Allan.Trently@xxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-dragonflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 08:35:22 -0600

On November 5, 2010, I had numerous Autumn Meadowhawks near the Mineral Slough
trail and boardwalk at Ghost River State Natural Area in Fayette County.  As I
walked the edge between an herbaceous field and bottomland forest within a
mowed strip, I would flush Autumn Meadowhawks every few feet.  This is an area
where there is permanent above-ground water in a cypress-gum swamp.  The swamp
does contain fish.  There is also a small pond (less than an acre) in the area
that also has fish (Lepomis spp.- possible bluegill).  Not far from this site
on October 29th, I also had numerous Autumn Meadowhawks (and one Variegated
Meadowhawk) in an area with open herbaceous/second growth woody fields,
bottomland forest and swamp.

Allan Trently

Stewardship Ecologist (West Tennessee)
Jackson Environmental Field Office
1625 Hollywood Drive
Jackson, TN 38305
Allan.Trently@xxxxxxxxxxx
Office: (731) 512-1369
Fax: (731) 661-6283
Cell: (731) 234-4887

>>> <Rconnorsphoto@xxxxxxx> 11/12/2010 5:39 PM >>>

Likewise, I'm seeing fewer meadowhawks around here this year. No idea why.

On Oct. 20 I went to check on an old pond where I found a population of
Blue-faced Medowhawks a couple of years ago. At that time it was an old
dried-up pond bed (just post drought years '07 - '08), this year it was full of
water. It even had a couple of carp splashing in the middle of the pond! They
must have washed in with the flood this spring. No Blue-faced but a few Autumn
Meadowhawks were present. I wonder if Blue-faced only use completely fishless
sites.

At a near-by slightly bigger, and more stable pond were: Familiar Bluet, Orange
Bluet, Fragile Forktail, E. Amberwing, Blue Dasher and Com. Pondhawk, all in
pretty worn condition.

Richard Connors
Nashville, Davidson Co. TN

In a message dated 11/12/2010 10:20:52 A.M. Central Standard Time,
kjchilds@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Meadowhawks have been nonexistent here this fall. The ponds I usually see them
around are almost dry so maybe that has something to do with it.

Ken Childs
Henderson, TN
Chester County