[tn-dragonflies] Re: late season dragonflies

  • From: Rconnorsphoto@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-dragonflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 18:39:55 EST

Likewise, I'm seeing fewer meadowhawks around here this year. No idea why.

On Oct. 20 I went to check on an old pond where I found a population of
Blue-faced Medowhawks a couple of years ago. At that time it was an  old
dried-up pond bed (just post drought years '07 - '08), this year it was full
of
water. It even had a couple of carp splashing in the middle of the pond!
They  must have washed in with the flood this spring. No Blue-faced but a few
Autumn  Meadowhawks were present. I wonder if Blue-faced only use completely
fishless  sites.

At a near-by slightly bigger, and more stable pond were: Familiar Bluet,
Orange Bluet, Fragile Forktail, E. Amberwing, Blue Dasher and Com. Pondhawk,
all  in pretty worn condition.

Richard Connors
Nashville, Davidson Co. TN

In a message dated 11/12/2010 10:20:52 A.M. Central Standard Time,
kjchilds@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Meadowhawks have been nonexistent here this fall. The ponds I usually  see
them around are almost dry so maybe that has something to do with  it.

Ken Childs
Henderson, TN
Chester  County