[TN-Butterflies] Re: Wrong clearwing in photo

  • From: Audrey Hoff <ahofftn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: larrycmcd@xxxxxxxxxxx, BUTTERFLY NET <mebc-butterfly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, BUTTERNUTS <butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, TN-Butterflies <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 22:28:01 -0700 (PDT)

Larry, your photo looks more like a "Hummingbird" Clearwing, Hemaris thysbe,
than a "Snowberry" Clearwing, H. diffinis, to me.  Maybe the problem here is
with the common names.  I'll admit, I never can remember the scientific names
and almost always use the common names.  Maybe someone with more expertise can
join in here.  Nice photo of whichever it is!

I'm attaching photos of both that I took a few years ago in Morgan Co.

Audrey

Audrey Hoff
I think that I think, therefore I am.......maybe.......