[TN-Butterflies] Re: Daily season high at Kentucky Manor (Davidson County) - July 3, 2009

  • From: "Michael Lee Bierly" <mlbierly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Tennessee Butterflies" <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 23:26:59 -0500

July 3, 2009. Kentucky Manor, 5211 Kentucky Avenue, Nashville, Davidson
County, TN
    360934N (36.15944) and 0865102W (-86.85055)

Today at the Manor was a season high of eight species of butterflies, a new
moth for me, and an interesting (especially in flight) black and orange
insect. If the sun comes up, there will be Cabbage Whites (4); the
watermelon rinds and bananas pulled in their share with Hackberry Emperor
(1) and Question Mark (1) plus an American Snout on the melon, a first for
that here (also seen on the flowers); an Eastern Tailed-Blue (1) was
enamored with a wet piece of compost soil (see attachment); very active
Sachems were among the flowers all day (3); and two first for the season
here. Late afternoon a Silver-spotted Skipper fed on white phlox, but before
I could get the camera in position it left. I could see the large white mark
in the center of the folded hindwing and the gold mark as well. As I was
standing there hoping for its return, a black swallowtail started feeding
rapidly on the Mornarda, the first 'fly I have seen do so. I am not
confident on these black swallowtails and all I could do was try and get an
image. The individual was moving fast, but what I got I think shows that it
is a Pipevine Swallowtail, another first for the Manor this season. Two
images are attached. The first shows the C of seven orange spots and the
second the white spots on the bottom edge of the upper wing. You may want to
increase magnification a little. Let me know if I am wrong. I was surprised
after going through the digital links that it was a Pipeview. A word on
Mornarda, do any of you have bee balm and do 'flys use it? I had thought
maybe it would be the larger butterflies that use it, and have had none
until today since it started blooming. Thanks.

Michael Lee Bierly, Nashville, Davidson County, TN