[TN-Butterflies] Re: The variable Sachem

  • From: Stephen Stedman <SStedman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mlbierly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, kjchilds@xxxxxxxxx, TN Butterflies <TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 07:43:25 -0500

Michael,

The main reason to learn the Sachem first is that it is so common, often
outnumbering all the other grass skippers combined on counts, not that
it is easiest to learn. Many other skippers are easier, to my mind
anyhow, but none are as common as the Sachem, at least during the flight
periods of that species.  If you can quickly i.d. most Sachems that come
your way, you can sort through them to get to the non-Sachems that are
out there.

Steve Stedman
Cookeville (Putnam County)