[TN-Butterflies] The variable Sachem

  • From: kjchilds <kjchilds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN Butterflies <TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 11:41:27 -0700 (PDT)

Here are some shots of Sachems that I've taken over the past few years. The
Sachem was the first TN skipper that I Identified and this was only because it
was a male with it's wings spread open. Steve Stedman knows just how much
trouble I've had with this 'fly in the past but I think I'm finally getting a
grasp on identifying them.

I'm pretty sure that all of these shots are of Sachems. Please send a
correction to the group if you think any of them are not of a Sachem.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p193/kjchilds/sachem1-1.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p193/kjchilds/sachem2.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p193/kjchilds/sachem3.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p193/kjchilds/sachem4.jpg

I assume this butterfly was named for the Algonquian word for the Chief of a
confederation of tribes. If so, here's how it's pronounced.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?sachem02.wav=sachem%27

Ken Childs
Henderson, TN
Chester County

http://www.finishflagfarms.com

The FAQ can be found by logging in at
//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi/l=tn-butterflies

Please report any abuse or questions about this list to:
kjchilds@xxxxxxxxxx

Users can unsubscribe from this list by sending email to
tn-butterflies-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe'
in the Subject field.