[TN-Butterflies] Re: Butterflies today amongst errand day

  • From: "Michael Lee Bierly" <mlbierly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Tennessee Butterflies" <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 19:44:28 -0500

Now I hate Wednesdays. That is errand day. Normally only the morning, but
today because of a late start, afternoon as well. Walk to car. Cabbage
Whites check. Back to fix dad lunch and off to Wal-Mart and Lowe's. Putting
the grocery cart in a return rack at Wal-Mart, there on the next cart sat a
shiny American Snout, showing that bit of orange when the wings are folded
(except when I try to take that picture and they always all folder it up).
Over to Lowe's to check for flower sale and in the high priced plants
another picture perfect American Snout feeding on the blossoms (wonder if
they charge it to feed?) . Then a buffy skipper who opened his wings to
reveal that wide black mark, only for a second and then off at 150
mph--Sachem. Back at home it's bar time (that is when the first commercial
on the Nightlight News comes on and Dad and I retire to the Garden Room).
Putting the pretzels out, a Tawny Emperor comes to feed on banana peel. I go
out (before the beer is poured, leaving my father to only eat pretzels) and
capture a few of the Tawny. THE shot would have been when it flew around and
landed on the shirt on my chest. There, I could take in all the upper marks
in the sun with the progressives showing them sharply. Got the beer poured
and a big yellow thing flew by.Oh my gosh, I think Giant Swallowtail.
Outside I go (leaving my beer unattended which is dangerous with my 96-year
old dad even though he has his own) and madly snap at the movement. It is a
Giant, but taking its picture is another matter. The shot and pray besides
not always seeing what you are photographing, takes its time for the shutter
to work once pressed.  Seems like two minutes. So you just aim in the
direction and press, etc. Now the results are not image printable, but image
identifiable. All during dinner the Tawny feeds on the banana peel (with a
couple of short visits to the watermelon rinds), and feeds, and feeds, and
feeds. It is 7:26 p.m. The Tawny has been feeding on the banana peel 1 hour
45 minutes. It is still feeding. Am late for watering.

Michael Lee Bierly, Nashville, Davidson County, TN

PS The Tawny Emperor left to roost at 7:37 p.m. and I off to water.

PPS The flys continue to feed.