[TN-Butterflies] Re: Southern Dogface at Kentucky Manor - October 18, 2010 (Davidson County)

  • From: Rita Venable <ritavenable@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mlbierly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 10:31:45 -0500

This is great. I've never had one in my yard, but have seen them lots of
times on the cedar glades in Davidson, Rutherford & Wilson. They lay eggs on
the prairie clovers there. Do you have the Scott book, The Butterflies of
North America?" It mentions lots of host plants for each species. (Published
by Stanford Univ. Press). Mine is the paperback; I use it  a lot. It might
give you a clue as to why you are seeing the SDF at Target and in your yard.

I am still having a lot of nectaring on my asters and mints. I also planted
the annual pineapple sage and the sulphurs just hang on to it and nectar on
it a lot.

Rita Venable, Franklin, TN
Williamson Co.