[TN-Butterflies] Re: Southern Dogface at Kentucky Manor - October 18, 2010 (Davidson County)

  • From: "Michael Lee Bierly" <mlbierly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Tennessee Butterflies" <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 18:43:13 -0500

A simply gorgeous pink form Southern Dogface,
<http://mlbierly.smugmug.com/Butterflies-2010/Sulphurs-Coliadinae/Southern-D
ogface-Zerene/13810371_S5KTb#1053732505_Rbmtk>
http://mlbierly.smugmug.com/Butterflies-2010/Sulphurs-Coliadinae/Southern-Do
gface-Zerene/13810371_S5KTb#1053732505_Rbmtk (the link is the first of three
images) graced the Manor today, October 18. Never thought that this species
would bestow the honor. It fed most of the time on Dallas Red Lantana
(Lantana camara 'Dallas Red'). It stopped twice on Narrow-leaved Sunflower
(Helianthus simulans). but for only a second each time so I doubt that it
fed. It also visited a few Profusion Cherry Zinnias. But it was the Dallas
Red that it enjoyed the most. As it currently is listed only in 13 counties
(including Davidson), I am still perplexed about where it wants to be and
where it wants to go. I have found it at two other sites in Davidson County
this season, one a cedar glade which I now know is a favorite habitat, but
where else does it like, and what do the Target Complex and the Manor (the
other two 2010 Davidson County sites) have as an attraction. It certainly
can return anytime it wishes and stay awhile. The Southern Dogface is
verified species 59 at Kentucky Manor, an urban yard 57'x150' (0.19 acre) in
West Nashville.

Michael Lee Bierly, Nashville, Davidson County, TN.