[tn-bird] Re: national cbc situation

  • From: K Dean EDWARDS <kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 15:59:08 -0400 (EDT)

Given the number of people who actually order the results
publication compared to the number who participate in CBCs,
it is clear that most folks are unaffected by Audubon's
decision or are, in fact, benefitted by it (Now they have
something, albeit it very little, to show for their $5).

I'm forwarding a portion of a post from the CarolinaBirds
listserv which includes some information given by the
director of the CBC, Geoff LeBaron.  Based on these numbers,
it would seem to me that Audubon might have actually INCREASED
their costs by converting to the smaller format.

Granted, the majority of the cost in producing a publication
are associated with the setup.  You pay greatly for the
initial setup; the number of copies has less effect on the
price.  Still, the total number of pages printed almost
doubled.  And, Audubon produced and, perhaps more importantly,
MAILED over NINE times as many copies in 2002 as they did in
2001.  Surely postage costs increased considerably.

Furthermore, they lost the roughly $10,000 paid last year by
the 1000 folks who ordered the full results.

So, how did they save money with the smaller versions?

Dean Edwards
Compiler, Knoxville, TN CBC