[TN-Bird] great day in Maryville!

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 09:58:42 -0700 (PDT)

Maryville College Woods
Blount County
April 28, 2006
49 species, including 4 vireos, 9 warblers

Hi folks,

Today I decided to go see what migrants might be about.  I was
fortunate enough to pull in just in time to see Jean Alexander,
Marian Fitzgerald and Jean's friend Bob (sorry I forget his last
name) from England there, so we birded together.

As often happens this time of year, the birds came in clusters.  We'd
walk half a mile with nothing of consequence, and run into a bunch of
birds at once.  I think almost half the species we saw were in one
great big White Oak tree!

The 2 best birds of the day were a singing but invisible CONNECTICUT
WARBLER and at least 2, probably 3 singing NASHVILLE WARBLERs.  We
heard songs that might have been really good birds, but none of us
was certain enough to call them.

I ended up with a number of First of Season (FOS) birds, which pushed
my Blount County 2006 total to 159.  In 6 years I've seen 210 species
in the county.

Here is the list for today.

Red-shouldered Hawk
Mourning Dove
Chimney Swift
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Pileated Woodpecker
Eastern Wood-pewee - FOS
Acadian Flycatcher
Eastern Phoebe
Eastern Kingbird

White-eyed Vireo
Yellow-throated Vireo
Blue-headed Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Blue Jay
American Crow
Barn Swallow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
Carolina Wren

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Eastern Bluebird
Swainson's Thrush - FOS
American Robin
Gray Catbird - FOS
Northern Mockingbird
Brown Thrasher
European Starling
Cedar Waxwing
Blue-winged Warbler - FOS

Nashville Warbler - FOS (only my 2nd ever in the county)
Chestnut-sided Warbler - FOS
Magnolia Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Blackburnian Warbler
Black-and-white Warbler
Ovenbird
Connecticut Warbler
Scarlet Tanager
Eastern Towhee

Song Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Northern Cardinal
Rose-breasted Grosbeak - FOS
Blue Grosbeak - FOS
Indigo Bunting
Common Grackle
Baltimore Oriole - FOS
American Goldfinch

I hope to see many of you at the TOS meeting in Nashville next
weekend.

Charlie

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES