[tn-bird] and now for something completely different

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 06:43:24 -0700 (PDT)

On a more serious note regarding Red-eyed Vireos(REVI)...

While I'm sure that these birds are not extinct, or nearly so (well,
if Chris and Jay couldn't find them, they may be in central/west TN)
I am wondering about their numbers this year.

We have only banded 2 at Tremont, when the last 2 years we had around
15 (sorry, don't have the exact numbers here) and there have been a
few days of casual birding when I've had no Red-eyeds, or had
significantly more Blue-headed (BHVI) than Red-eyed.  Paul Super, who
transferred to the other side of the park, and to higher elevation
(meaning far fewer REVI, and more BHVI) noted that he was hearing
fewer REVI than previous years, when he came over a few times this
season.  I'm wondering if they had a tough winter, and/or a poor
breeding season?  I didn't notice anything on my point counts, but I
also haven't looked at numbers.

Any (serious) opinions?

BTW, thanks for the good laughs!

charlie

=====
Charlie Muise, Senior Naturalist
Great Smoky Mountains Institute at Tremont
Townsend, TN  lat 35 deg, 38'23"  long 83 deg, 41'22"

"Do something. If it works, do it again. If it does not work, do something
else. But above all else: Do Something." (Franklin Delano Roosevelt)