[tn-bird] Re: News Article: Study Finds Red-eyed Vireos Endangered, Possibly Extinct

  • From: "Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 12:25:30 -0400

Tennessee Birders,
Here in Virginia we greatly lament your loss of such a bird as the Red-eyed
Vireo. However, even though they are scarce in VA as well, we are willing to
share. I'm sure that some exchange could be worked out. For example we could
give you 10 Red-eyed Vireos in exchange for 10 Brown-headed Nuthatches. We
will have to get our respective state wildlife organizations to work on this
problem right away.

By the way is the normal habitat for Jackass Penguins car washes or will any
soapy area do? Could I possibly put out a large container of soapy water and
attract one, or will I have to wait for a rare migrant from South Africa?
After checking my life list I realize that I have somehow missed this rare
species, though I am sure I have come into contact with its subspecies,
Equinus hind-endus obnoxious, the reason being, I'm sure, that this
subspecies is much more common.

My hat is off to Mr. Sloan and Mr. Desgrosellier, the two internationally
known and respected professional ornithologists, for this eye opening story.
Good Work guys.

Roger Mayhorn
Grundy, VA
Buchanan County