[tn-bird] King Rail - Standifer Gap Marsh

  • From: "David & Gloria Patterson" <dgpatterson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 11:26:59 -0000

One adult and one possible juvenile King Rail at Standifer Gap Marsh Monday,
July 22, 02, about 8 AM, near the middle of the East side, where the King Rails
were this spring.  Seen but not heard, excellent views of the adult, 3 brief
views of the possible juvenile, which was within 1 or 2 feet of the adult,
which appeared to be guarding it and trying to keep it out of our sight. The
juvenile was much smaller (half size?), appeared mostly dark grey and slightly
downy.  The only marking we could distinctly see was the underside of the
raised tail, which had a lot of white.

In the middle of the pond we saw one Coot.

We also heard but could not see a probable Sora at the north end among the
cattails.

The flowers at the marsh would be worth a trip even if there were no birds
there:  a very large dense stand,- perhaps 3000 square feet or more,- of Water
Lilies in full bloom; thousands of Hibiscus with 6" blooms everywhere; much
more.  This place could be a rival to some popular tourist attraction gardens,
and actually more interesting.

David and Roger Patterson
Chattanooga