[tn-bird] Southeast National Park Service Bird Conservation Initiative

  • From: "David Aborn" <daborn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 14:03:12 -0400

A friend/colleague of mine who works for the state of Mississippi sent this
to me. I haven't checked out the site yet, but it sounds interesting. Given
how much land the park service oversees, this is an important project. The
initiative is a partnership among organizations and agencies from Canada,
Mexico, and the United States to facilitate the conservation of all native
North American birds, both migratory and non-migratory. The NABCI was formed
in an attempt to unify bird conservation goals, strategies, and efforts from
the four principle North American bird conservation programs; Partners in
Flight (PIF), the North American Waterfowl Management Plan (NAWMP), U.S.
Shorebird Conservation Plan (USSCP), and the North American Waterbird
Conservation Plan (NAWCP).  Each of these programs have undergone rigorous
development of bird conservation priorities and strategies for specific
regions while maintaining strict adherence to national and international
goals.  The NABCI has attempted to unify the strategies and goals into
regionally based, biologically driven, landscape oriented partnerships so
that bird conservation can be delivered to all areas of the North American
continent.

David Aborn
Chattanooga, TN
---------------------------
Dear All,

The folks working on this new web site,
http://southeast.fws.gov/birds/npsbirds.htm have finally made enough
progress to officially announce the web site "Southeast Region Bird
Conservation Initiative, National Park Service".

The project describes an initiative the Southeast Region of the NPS has
funded.  The focus of the site is bird conservation in the Southeast Region
of the NPS, but one VERY LARGE BENEFIT to all of you and your partners is
the availability of 5 different tables that have contact information for
NPS units, PIF Regions, BCR's, NPS Inventory and Monitoring Networks, and
States, not just for the Southeastern US, but for the ENTIRE COUNTRY!!
YES, all of USA, and some of the territories!

Check it out, we believe you'll like it.

A couple of things to remember when you're viewing the site. PLEASE KEEP
THIS MESSAGE FOR FUTURE REFERENCE!!

In Microsoft Internet Explorer, it's best viewed in Large or Medium
Fonts (while in browser, select View, Text Size, Large or Medium)

There are errors in the tables, please be patient.  When you notice
an error please respond appropriately according to directions on the web
site.  This is a PEOPLE database, and people move, change jobs,change
careers, etc. We do value your input so we need to know what needs
to be changed to make the site more useable.

The ACIP's aren't available at this time, but they are being developed.
When completed, they will be placed on the web site ACIP page.

BCR table needs a lot of data.  This, too, in time will be completed
as much as possible and updated.

Most tables need updated information.  If you send updates to the
email address at the site, we'll attempt to make corrections at the end of
each month.  However, if something is critical to the functions and purpose
of the web site, we will try to make changes immediately.

One of the features from Everglades National Park is not available
yet, but soon!!

In addition to improving the site by correcting errors, we want to make the
site as friendly as possible to those that use this site.  Therefore, if
you have a suggestion or comment that you believe will improve the site, we
ask you to be creative and give us a solution how you think it should be
done!

And lastly, I know I can't possibly have included all the folks I'd like to
send this email to, so PLEASE, DISTRIBUTE this notice as widely as
possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! to all of your bird
conservation network friends, partners, colleagues, etc.
---