[tn-bird] fall birding

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 06:36:53 -0700 (PDT)

Well Ole Coot's been reporting fall bird activities over on the
western shore of TN, so here are the complimentary trends on the
nose-bleed side of the state.

I banded a hatch-year Louisiana Waterthrush on Tuesday that had a
good amount of fat (to banders, it was a 4).  Which indicates this
bird was pretty much ready to leave.  I'd bet it already has.  Most
neotropical migrant passerines put on a lot of fat just prior to
migrating.

On Wednesday night I heard an Eastern Screech Owl outside my house
for the first time since spring.  My observation, which matches that
of some others, is that they shut up in this area in the summer.  My
opinion is that they start to announce themselves once the Barred
Owls kick their kids out, and therefore aren't hunting nearly so
much.  Those Barred are pretty thick here in the Smokies.

The Broad-winged Hawks have suddenly gotten VERY vocal and jumpy.
Shoot, I forget that german word for travel jitters...

The Northern Parulas have stopped singing even their secondary songs.
 they stopped primary song over a month ago.

Now I'm heading off to the Ozarks for some hiking, swimming, caving
and general touristing.  Ole Coot, don't be too surprised if you get
a call from me on my way back through Memphis...

Good birding!

Charlie

=====
Charlie Muise, Senior Naturalist
Great Smoky Mountains Institute at Tremont
Townsend, TN  lat 35 deg, 38'23"  long 83 deg, 41'22"

"Do something. If it works, do it again. If it does not work, do something
else. But above all else: Do Something." (Franklin Delano Roosevelt)