[TN-Bird] Woods Reservoir This Weekend

  • From: kristybaker@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: TN-birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2015 00:37:15 +0000 (UTC)

We spent a couple of hours at Woods Reservoir both yesterday and today.  Both
times we drove around the lake and stopped at various spots to scan the water.
Yesterday we seen 35 species and today we seen 27 for a total of 39 species for
the weekend.  There is a huge raft of horned grebes that number at least a 1000
above the dam that was seen both days.  Today, we seen a flock of crows that
numbered at least 200.  We watched an immature red-tailed hawk eating a road
killed deer right next to the road until a bald eagle showed up.  I may not
have noticed the eagle had the bird not looked up and hunkered down.  I finally
was able to see the pacific loon yesterday, but didn't get to see it today.  I
was at the lake the same day Chloe reported it (in fact, I spotted Chloe and
her brother), but I didn't see the bird that day.  We watched it yesterday for
over 30 minutes before we were convinced what we were seeing.  The bird kept
diving and was only up for about a minute before it would go back down.  Lots
and lots of birds above the dam yesterday.

Canada Goose
Gadwall
American Black Duck
Mallard