[TN-Bird] Re: Willow Flycatcher

  • From: K Dean EDWARDS <kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: James Brooks <comeback@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 09:45:46 -0400 (EDT)

James didn't mention the biggest key to IDing Empids in my opinion
(other than voice):  primary extension.  Read Kauffman's "Advanced
Birding" guide in the Peterson series or look at Sibley.  The first
thing to look at on Empids is primary extension, not eye-ring, etc.
The relative length the primaries extend beyond the tertials will
quickly eliminate many species and narrow your choices down to one
or two... at least in the Eastern US.

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN