[TN-Bird] Re: Tennessee Humming-warbler

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 09:55:39 -0500

Dev Joslin:

The Tennessee Warbler is a pro at flower-feeding along the Gulf Coast of the
US in spring, although we don't know how much nectar vs. bugs it gets from
Honey Locusts.  Cape May Warbler is a well-known flower feeder there -- best
place to look for them in spring is in Honey Locust flowers.  Its
disproportionately long
and curved (very slightly) bill is interpreted by ornithologists as a winter
flower-probing adaptation.

At Gulf Coast hummingbird feeders in the southern United States,
Orange-crowned Warbler is a regular winter visitor, and Prothonotary
Warblers comes fairly frequently, at least in early spring.

They may flower-feed some as they migrate further north in spring and we
just don't notice them in tree canopy feeding situations.  Not many of our
birders spend lots of time observing the feeding habits of migrant warblers.
For that matter, we don't look at as many as we listen to. :-)

Let's go birding....

Wallace Coffey
Bristol, TN