[TN-Bird] Tennessee Humming-warbler

  • From: "Dev Joslin" <devjoslin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 09:11:28 -0600

Yesterday I watched a Tennessee Warbler meticulously going from flower to
flower in a tree by our house here in Costa Rica (locals call it a guititi
tree).  The bird was clearly getting nectar from the flowers and almost
humorously (to me), it was doing it alongside a hummingbird.

I had never seen or known that Tennessee Warblers got nectar from flowers.
(Has anyone ever seen one at a hummingbird feeder?).  I have never observed
it during spring or fall migration.

However, Alexander Skutch and Gary Stiles (in a Guide to the Birds of Costa
Rica) describe the Tenn. Warbler as one who ?visits flowers of many sorts
for nectar (sometimes individuals defend flowers for short periods).?  Out
of 52 other warblers described in Skutch and Stiles, 5 are noted to feed on
nectar (Orange-crowned, Nashville, Cape May, Black-throated Blue,
Bay-breasted).

Has anyone else observed this behavior in any of these warbler species or am
I just out of it?  Does anyone know if this behavior is primarily limited to
wintering in the tropics?  Don?t know why it should be, but I haven?t
observed any of these species on their breeding grounds.

Dev Joslin
Monteverde, Costa Rica