[TN-Bird] Re: Tennessee Humming-warbler

  • From: "Jackie Elmore" <jackiebelmore@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx, devjoslin@xxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 21:49:35 -0600

All,

I have observed Tennessee Warblers the last two fall migrations feeding on
nectar from my salvia coccinea in my hummer garden. Sometimes the birds
would stick their bills (like hummers) in the blooms and sometimes just tear
off individual flowers both while sitting on the plants. This year I did
manage to take a fairly decent photo of this if anyone is interested. Anyone
who grows flowers for hummers/birds,  I would highly recommend salvia
coccinea. Not only do hummers and Tennessee Warblers love these plants for
nectar,  but American Goldfinches will hang on the plants and eat the seeds.
It is a great re-seeder for following years!

Jackie B. Elmore
Bowling Green, KY
Warren Co.