[TN-Bird] Re: TN Conservationist Magazine--ProthonotaryWarblers in a Suburban Nest Box

  • From: wiliam Hampton <ducklabdad@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "shelbyforester1223@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <shelbyforester1223@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "jreese5@xxxxxxx" <jreese5@xxxxxxx>, tn-birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 15:21:33 -0800 (PST)

At my mothers house (Near the Marina, at Eastport on Pickwick lake, Iuka Ms.)
we have had several that have nested in bluebird houses. One Bluebird house,
this past year had a pair of bluebirds successfully nest in it, then a pair of
Prothonotary warblers nested and raised in the same box. After they reared and
left the box, another pair(or possibly the same pair) of bluebirds used the
box. Three different broods nested and raised successfully in that same box, we
thought was great!!!.

Bill Hampton

 ,

On Sunday, March 2, 2014 12:25 PM, van harris
<shelbyforester1223@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Prothonotary Warblers have nested numerous times on my 2.5 acre lot in nw
Shelby County.  They have at various times used a natural cavity directly next
to the lake, in "Gilbert" PVC nest boxes in the woods and in a side entranced
gourd-shaped basket directly next to the kitchen window.

Van Harris
Millington, TN

On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 8:31 AM, Reese, Carol <jreese5@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Prothonotary warblers nested in a decorative gourd  hanging on my porch a few
years ago when I lived in Chester county. They used the grassy nesting material
left by wrens. My sister had them nesting just off her porch in Oktibbeha
county Mississippi in  a birdhouse that very same year! It seems they may be
making it a habit. Wonder if anyone has information on houses that might
specifically encourage prothonotary warblers? They may not require specific
design since my gourd was actually designed to be a feeder and had broad
openings on two sides though the wren nest had blocked the entire space.