[TN-Bird] 110 Red-necked Grebe in Sullivan Co.

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 19:40:37 -0500

Jim Ratchford and I birded six and one-half hours in Sullivan County today
(Thursday).

We counted 110 Red-necked Grebes at two impoundments - Boone Lake and
Patrick Henry Lake.

Out of that number,  101 were found on Boone Lake and nine (9) on Patrick
Henry Lake.

At Boone Dam, we also had a brilliant, male, Long-tailed Duck (often seen by
others), 32 Red-Necked

Grebe, 2 Pied-billed Grebe, 4 Horned Grebe, 1 Eared Grebe and  ~ 150
Ring-billed Gulls.

We noted about ~30 Great Blue Herons on nests in the rookery just below
Patrick Henry Dam.

Wallace Coffey

Bristol, TN