[TN-Bird] Re: Scientific names

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 08:38:20 EDT

TN-Birders,
I keep in touch with a lot of the foreign visitors that bird with me here in
the US and evidently they keep up with what we are doing. I thought you might
be interested in a UK birders take on the name thing. I agree with both sides,
when it is necessary for scientific clarity and in the context of foreign
scientist use the Latin but in among other birders use what everyone readily
understands. It's no big deal when birding in a distant land to whip out your
guide and point to the scientific name.

Here is a foreigners' take with a little insight into what a great year of
vagrants they are having:

Re Wind birds...in the UK we have had an amazing autumn for Pectoral
Sandpipers..probably the best ever with at least 60 in a week..even my home
county of
Derbyshire...right in the middle of the country had 5 with 2 together.at one
reserve ..
The weather systems are now dropping Belted Kingfisher,Alder Flycatcher and
Baltimore Oriole in Iceland with Red Eyed Vireo, Gray Cheeked Thrush, Swainsons
Thrush in the Isles of Scilly so things are looking up!

With all this Latin name  discussion on the TN birds list at the moment..it
made me smile that all the birders we met on the trip be they Swedes,
French,Belgian,Danish,  Dutch German or Norwegian..all the birds were called by
their
English Names with only the occasional Latin name used.
Birding is a great global pastime..perhaps the United Nations should take it
up!!!

I still find the TN Bird news  a great way to see what you are all getting up
to and seeing in your wonderful state...

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett, TN