[TN-Bird] Results from NTOS Field Trip

  • From: "Chloe Walker" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "chloebelle119@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2015 04:17:51 +0000 (UTC)

The NTOS field trip to the Pace Point/Britton Ford area was a wonderful
success!  Our group started at the Bennetts Creek Overlook within the Big Sandy
Unit of the Tennessee National Wildlife Refuge, and no sooner had we stepped
out of our vehicles when the cry of "Golden Eagle!" sounded. We all had
fantastic views of both an adult and an immature together - a life bird for
many. Duck numbers were sky-rocketing throughout the day, the vast majority
being Mallards. Three hybrid dabblers were sighted: one, a "Brewer's Duck"
(Gadwall x Mallard) at the Bennetts Creek Overlook; the second, a handsome
Mallard x American Black Duck at Tennessee NWR--Britton Ford Unit; and finally,
an additional "Brewer's Duck" at Britton Ford. Also of note was a merganser
"trifecta" at Bennets Creek Overlook and all five regular geese at Britton
Ford.  Notable misses: American Coot (!) Wow...what a day! A huge thanks to
Mike Todd for leading the trip, and thank you to all who attended. 65 species
Great White-fronted GooseSnow GooseRoss's GooseCackling Goose  Canada
GooseGadwallMallardNorthern ShovelerNorthern PintailGreen-winged
TealCanvasbackRedheadRing-necked DuckGreater ScaupLesser ScaupBuffleheadCommon
GoldeneyeHooded MerganserCommon MerganserRed-breasted MerganserRuddy DuckCommon
LoonPied-billed GrebeHorned GrebeAmerican White PelicanGreat Blue HeronBlack
VultureTurkey VultureBald EagleNorthern HarrierRed-shouldered HawkRed-tailed
HawkGolden EagleAmerican KestrelRing-billed GullHerring GullRed-headed
WoodpeckerRed-bellied WoodpeckerYellow-bellied SapsuckerDowny WoodpeckerHairy
WoodpeckerPileated WoodpeckerEastern PhoebeBlue JayAmerican CrowCarolina
ChickadeeTufted TitmouseWhite-breasted NuthatchCarolina WrenGolden-crowned
KingletEastern BluebirdAmerican RobinYellow-rumped WarblerEastern
TowheeSavannah SparrowSong SparrowSwamp SparrowDark-eyed JuncoNorthern Cardinal
Red-winged BlackbirdCommon GrackleBrown-headed CowbirdAmerican Goldfinch  Chloe
WalkerMurfreesboro, TN