[TN-Bird] Request for assistance – song recordings of migrating Mourning Warblers

  • From: Jay Pitocchelli <jpitocch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2021 12:16:12 -0400

I am once again writing to request your help and record Mourning Warbler songs from spring migrants.It is year 7 of my research using birdsong to study migratory connectivity of Mourning Warbler song populations.Here is a link to the latest map with previous years’ results based on recordings from over 130 birders.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?hl=en&mid=1voXjBhvHZ0nwAv93_OBC_vCPuxQ&ll=38.892516009880424%2C-85.09712735&z=5 <https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?hl=en&mid=1voXjBhvHZ0nwAv93_OBC_vCPuxQ&ll=38.892516009880424%2C-85.09712735&z=5>

Contributions are reinforcing preliminary results.

1) Western song populations are separating out from the rest of the pack and migrating throughout the mid-western states directly to the Prairie Provinces.

2) Eastern, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland song populations are migrating together along the Appalachian Mountains.

3) Nova Scotia and Newfoundland song populations are beginning to hug the Atlantic coast in New Jersey and New York.However, they can still be found in or near the mountains as far north as Massachusetts and New Hampshire.

The overall results suggest moderate to low connectivity during migration with Western breeders separating from the rest of the other song populations.

I am especially interested this year in recordings from Texas, more mid-western states, eastern Colorado and the New England coast.All you need is a smartphone with a voice recording app and some luck.Videos with recordings are also helpful.The web page link below describes the project and how to make recordings on your Smartphone in more detail.Please send song recordings to the Mourning Warbler Sound Lab (jpitocch AT anselm.edu).

https://mowasongmapper.weebly.com/ ;<https://mowasongmapper.weebly.com/>

There is also a link to a spring 2017 National Audubon Society story on this research.

Audubon Society reporting

http://www.audubon.org/magazine/spring-2017/this-guy-mapping-how-warblers-migrate-just

I would really appreciate your help and contributions this year to this Citizens Science Project.

Dr. Jay Pitocchelli

Chair, Biology Department

Saint Anselm College

Manchester, NH 03102