[TN-Bird] Request for assistance – song recordings of migrating Mourning Warblers

  • From: Jay Pitocchelli <jpitocch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 May 2019 10:30:53 -0400

It is year 5 of this project and I am once again writing to request your help and participate in a Citizens Science Project that involves recording migrating Mourning Warbler songs.Our lab is trying to determine what role song can play in understanding migratory connectivity in this species.We are interested in whether different song populations of the Mourning Warbler (Western, Eastern, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland) migrate together or separately to their respective breeding areas.Here is a link to a map with previous years’ results based on recordings from over 100 birders.

https://mowasongmapper.weebly.com/mapping-songs-with-google-maps.html

All you need is a smartphone with a voice recording app and some luck.Videos with recordings are also helpful.The web page link below describes the project and how to make recordings on your Smartphone in more detail.Please send song recordings to the Mourning Warbler Sound Lab (jpitocch AT anselm.edu).

https://mowasongmapper.weebly.com/

There is also a link to a recent national Audubon Society story on this research.

Audubon Society reporting

http://www.audubon.org/magazine/spring-2017/this-guy-mapping-how-warblers-migrate-just

I would really appreciate your help and contributions this year to this Citizens Science Project.

Dr. Jay Pitocchelli

Chair, Biology Department

Saint Anselm College

Manchester, NH 03102