[TN-Bird] Re: Rankin still under

  • From: "michael sylva" <mtnsylva@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "K Dean EDWARDS" <kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "TN-bird" <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Cathy King" <adventuretrips@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "petewyatt" <pete.wyatt@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "marcia davis2" <TennWren@xxxxxxx>, "joni gibbens" <jonigib@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 07:29:34 -0400

Douglas Lake has been at or above summer level for nearly 4 weeks.  The road
has gotten worse; the county road department is supposed to work on it
whenever the lake goes down. The high water expands the boating
possibilities, but there's no habitat for migratory shorebirds.
Leslie and I explored the area by canoe last Sunday afternoon.  The bass are
biting, so there were several powerboats in the area; wildlife was scarce,
except for an enormous, amorphous kettle of black and turkey vultures drifting
above the lake.
We paddled across to the mouth of the Nolichucky, and a mile up the river.
We saw an osprey nest there, new for us - that makes 7, from Rankin Bridge
to Dutch Bottoms.  Also:
60+ wood ducks, some mallards, and 2 other species we weren't able to identify..
8 great blue herons, a couple of great egrets
1 pied-billed grebe
a pair of spotted sandpipers
1 northern flicker

Back along the French Broad riverside groves, great egrets were returning to
roost, we saw nearly 100 enter the rookery through the evening.  We also saw
over 200 double-crested cormorants
in a stand of cottonwoods.  In addition::
1 immature bald eagle
1 osprey
1 merlin
a few black-crowned night herons
2 Canada geese
several chickadees and titmice, one each pileated, red-bellied and downy
woodpeckers

Media note:  Bill Landry and a TV crew visited the area in August.  A
"Heartland" segment about Rankin Bottoms will air on WBIR sometime this month.

Michael Sledjeski and Leslie Gibbens
Cocke County TN