[TN-Bird] Photos from Memphis on 5/26/13 (Fulvous Whistling-Duck etc)

  • From: Michael Todd <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 12:06:41 -0700 (PDT)

For those interested, I've added a number of photos from my trip to Memphis
last
Sunday. There are a number of shots of the Fulvous Whistling-duck, as it
offered
some excellent digiscope opportunities. Also several shots of Scissor-tails and
Western Kingbirds, with nests, and a few of the hybrid of these two species.

I've placed a link to maps for these birds, which appear to work this time,
please let me know if they don't. For those not familiar with the area, the
central pits area at Ensley is mapped, and several locations on President's
Island are shown where I had birds, including the poles I found nest on.

Regarding the Fulvous, I got word that it is possible this bird is an escapee
from a breeder in Olive Branch who raises Whistling-Ducks. I don't know the
story on the breeder in Olive Branch, but this bird is marked in none of the
ways that a captive origin bird can show; not that all do of course. But, from
my photos it is clear that that hallux is present on both feet, no bands, and
obviously not pinioned. Fulvous Whistling-Ducks have been regular the last few
years only 100 miles or so from Memphis in SE Arkansas, so a bird showing up
here at the Whistling-Duck hotspot of the area during spring is perfectly
plausible to me. Had this been a Gargeney or Baikal Teal, etc that showed up
and
then it was discovered a nearby breeder had lost one, it would be a much
different story, in my opinion anyway.

Anyway, the first new photo starts here:
http://www.pbase.com/mctodd/image/150504023/original  For the Whistling-Duck,
flycatcher etc shots with a link to a map, this is below the caption on the
location line.

Good Birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN