[TN-Bird] Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, Grasshopper Sparrow, Red-headed Woodpecker - Bledsoe County

  • From: Mark Labig <marklabig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 15:58:52 -0400

After two near-misses on the Brown Pelican, my wife and sons accompanied me
to Bledsoe County to check for STFLs. This trip was much more successful
and we had a couple of other nice birds along the way:

Immediately found a male Scissor-tailed perched on the wires overhead on
Ninemile Cross Road, leaving his perch and flying low over the field. While
watching and photographing, another stopped briefly on the other side of
the road. While photographing the adult male, a Grasshopper Sparrow began
singing right next to the car and graciously played the cooperative,
photogenic type.

We pulled down the road about 100-200 meters and stopped next to a wooden
fence on the right side of the road so our sons could eat (between a small
pond on the left and mixed hardwood stand on the right). As we pulled to a
stop, a Red-headed Woodpecker landed on the top of the fence, sat for a
minute, then returned to the woods on the right.

Mark Labig
Jefferson City, TN