[TN-Bird] NJ shore birds

  • From: "Carole Gobert" <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 17:33:53 -0400

Just got back from my annual vacation on Long Beach Island, New Jersey,
where I found time to photograph some shore birds with my new camera.  I
even managed to get my picture in the Atlantic City Press photographing a
great egret at Barnegat Inlet.  Does that make me a famous wildlife
photographer?

Many of the photographs came out really well, especially the great egret who
must be used to posing; the reporter (who was also photographing it) told me
that he got a great picture of it two years ago at the same place, though he
couldn't prove it was the same egret. I also have good close-up shots of
herring gulls, laughing gulls and great black backed gulls and a few fairly
good photos of an American Oystercatcher (though not as close as I would
have liked...what a spectacular looking bird).  Even got a good photo of a
common tern--they're darn hard to photograph as they are constantly on the
move and the wind was so strong I was afraid the camera would be ripped from
my hands and dashed on the rocks below.

The point of this is, I now have all these great photos, which I would be
glad to share with anyone who'd like to see them.  I don't have a website to
post them on, so if anyone is interested, just send me a message and I will
be glad to e-mail you a few.

Carole Gobert
Knoxville, Knox County, Tennessee