[TN-Bird] Cumberland/TN River Voyage

  • From: "ANNA VARNEY" <arvarney@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 16:05:15 -0500

Since we are now living within 20 minutes of the TN River, my other half and
I decided that it was time to buy a boat.  We found one that we both really
liked (actually fell in love with).  Its a 1969 Seagoing Houseboat.  A slow
going boat...we'll leave the high speed power for other people.  We had a
friend with several years of marine experience check it out.  He said that
he thought it was sound, so we paid the owner, the three of us loaded our
gear and we were underway on 7-23-03 from Hendersonville to our destination
295 miles away (by river) to the boat's new home port of Linden, TN.  Along
the way I learned how to read navigation charts, tie knots and stay clear of
the wake made by passing barges.  We got swamped once by a barge's wake
while I was at the helm, but the boat stayed dry dwon below and no one had
to swim for shore.

This journey would have us power the boat down the Cumberland River to
Kentucky Lake in Kentucky then through the Barkley Canal and up the TN
heading back south into Tennessee.  Our first bird of interest was a
Black-crowned Night Heron hanging out on handrailing at Creekwood Marina in
Hendersonville when we set out.  We would see quite a few Black-crowned on
the Cumberland.

The following is a list of birds of interest seen noting dates/river
locations/appx geographic locations:

CUMBERLAND RIVER 07.23.03

Bank Swallow nesting colony
Cumberland River mile marker 181
North bank of the Cumberland
N 36 deg 11' 45"
W 86 deg 52' 30"

Adult Bald Eagle
Cumberland River mile marker 169
N 36 deg 11'
W 86 deg 56'

CUMBERLAND RIVER 07.24.03

Cliff Swallow nesting colony
Cheatham Lock and Dam
N 36 deg 19' 15"
W 87 deg 13' 30"

Adult Bald Eagle
9:35 a.m.
Montgomery County
Cumberland mm 137
N 36 deg 28'
W 87 deg 18'

Juvenile Bald Eagle appeared as first year bird
1 p.m.
Montgomery County
Cumberland mm 108
N 36 deg 25' 15"
W 87 deg

Osprey nest
located directly atop daybeacon mile marker 89.1 (Dover light and daymark)
Stewart County
N 36 deg 29' 30"
W 87 deg 50' 15"

Osprey-located on opposite side of river of above nest

Juvenile Bald Eagle appeared as 3rd yr bird
3:40 p.m.
Near mile marker 82.8
Barkley WMA
Stewart County
N 36 deg 33'
W 87 deg 53'

Osprey w/ nest
located directly atop daybeacon mm 77.4
Stewart Cty
N 36 deg 37'
W 87 deg 54'

Osprey nest with 3 Ospreys in it
located directly atop daybeacon 76.5
Stewart Cty
N 36 deg 39'
W 87 deg 54'

The trend of Ospreys and Opsrey nests atop river daybeacons continued north
into Kentucky with most all daybeacons were occupied.

TENNESSEE RIVER 07.25.03

Adult Bald Eagle
N 36 deg 17' 50"
W 87 deg 57'

TENNESSEE RIVER 07.26.03

Cliff Swallow nesting colony
underside of I-40 bridge
N 35 deg 52'
W 87 deg 56"

Osprey
N 35 deg 45'
W 87 deg 59'

Glad to have my 'land' feet back but look forward to going out again!

Anna Varney
Linden, TN