[TN-Bird] Back from outstanding trip to Rio Grande (not TN)

  • From: "Mann, Jason Richard" <j.mann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 16:35:24 -0500

Hello everyone!
I'm from Wyoming and just finished my first year of medical school at
Vanderbilt.  To break from the grind, my wife and I took a dream two-week road
trip down the Gulf Coast and up the Rio Grande to Big Bend during the first
couple weeks of June.

I had a long dream list and managed to get 60 lifers to bring me from 499 to
559 on my ABA list (!)  I never imagined we would be so fortunate (although
many birds had stopped singing on territory), but it involved before dawn to
after dusk scouring of the countryside.  We camped most of the way, from the
bayous of Louisiana, the Texas beach and rio grande subtropical woodlands to
the high Chihuahuan desert of Big Bend.

Highlights included:

**Seeing all four Myiarchus flycatchers, including the Dusky-capped, which I
found after a fifteen mile hike up the Chisos near Boot Canyon.  It had been
reported several weeks before on the RBA but had not been located since.

**Finding a pair of Painted Redstart butterflying about the Arizona sycamore in
Boot Canyon.  These gorgeous birds only breed sporadically in Texas and had not
been reported yet this year.

**Witnessing the splendor of 20,000 waders nesting in a cypress swamp near
Lafayette, LA, including hundreds of Roseate Spoonbills

**Finding eight different doves in one day

**Finding lots of armadillos and even a JAGUARUNDI at dawn at Bentson

It was absolutely amazing odyssey--I would be happy to write more personally
but just wanted to recommend the area and spice up the late summer TN-bird
list.  You can find the list of my lifers below.

Good birding,

Jason Mann
Nashville, TN

Alabama:
Bachman's Sparrow (#500 in North America!)
Gull-billed Tern
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron

Mississippi:
Swainson's Warbler

Louisiana:
Roseate Spoonbill
Neotropic Comorant
King Rail
Purple Gallinule
Bronzed Cowbird
Fulvous Whistling-Duck

Texas:
Red-cockaded Woodpecker
Ferruginous Pygmy-Owl
Brown-crested Flycatcher
Golden-fronted Woodpecker
Crested Caracara
Couch's Kingbird
Harris' Hawk
Green Jay
Botteri's Sparrow
Red-crowned Parrot
Green Parakeet
White-tipped Dove
Plain Chachalaca
Altamira Oriole
Olive Sparrow
Buff-bellied Hummingbird
Long-billed Thrasher
Great Kiskadee
Black-crested Titmouse
Tropical Parula
Clay-colored Robin
Northern Beardless-Tyrranulet
Green Kingfisher
Ringed Kingfisher
Groove-billed Ani
Common Paraque
Black-bellied Whistling-Duck
Hook-billed Kite
Tropical Kingbird
Elf Owl
Gray Hawk
Least Grebe
White-collared Seedeater
Red-billed Pigeon
Brown Jay
Audubon Oriole
Golden-cheeked Warbler
Black-capped Vireo
Zone-tailed Hawk
Common Black-Hawk
Montezuma Quail
Varied Bunting
Colima Warbler
Mexican Jay
Blue-throated Hummingbird
Painted Redstart
Dusky-capped Flycatcher
Gray Vireo
Lucifer Hummingbird (hiked 12 miles for this gem)

Eurasian Tree Sparrow in STL