[tn-bird] NE Tennessee

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 15:54:38 -0700 (PDT)

Hi again,

This weekend Tracey Everson, Dr. Gary Wallace and I led a short bird
trip at Warrior's Path SP for their Spring weekend.

Since we were leading beginning birders - some of whom had no optics,
and one who was 5 years-old - we neither covered much ground, nor saw
a whole lot.  But we did have both Baltimore and Orchard Orioles,
including a pair of the latter.  We saw at least 200 migrating Blue
Jays and watched a pair of Tufted Titmice carrying food to a hold 30
feet up in a tree.  We never heard younguns, but we presume there to
have been some there because of this behavior.

A short bike trip away from the park to the mountain bike trails
netted Tracey and I our first Indigo Bunting of the year, and a night
hike along the river allowed us to hear something that I'm *pretty
sure* was a Whip-Poor-Will, though it called just once, and I've
never heard a Whip do that before.  It was also just a little bit
garbled.  Can't think of anything else that could be, though.

A quick, mid-day trip to Roan Mountain netted few species, but
terrific views and nice hiking.  We saw MANY Golden-crowned Kinglets,
a Raven, a few Red-breasted Nuthatches and little else.  We did see
about 2 dozen Barn Swallows all heading in a roughly NW direction,
and assume them to have been migrating over, as none seemed to be
feeding or turning back.
Good day!

charlie

=====
Charlie Muise, Senior Naturalist
Great Smoky Mountains Institute at Tremont
Townsend, TN  lat 35 deg, 38'23"  long 83 deg, 41'22"

"Do something. If it works, do it again. If it does not work, do something
else. But above all else: Do Something." (Franklin Delano Roosevelt)