[tn-bird] Sunday's field trip to Cove Lake/Cross Mtn.

  • From: Tonyheadrk@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 21:04:38 EDT

Sorry for the late post on the KTOS trip to Cove Lake and Cross Mtn.23
birders from around the Knoxville area attended and we were not disappointed.
We started at the the platform at the rear of the lake, the highlights where
Prothonotary Warbler,Tree Swallows were heard and seen .Later at the back of
the walking trail we were able to watch a singing Swainsons warbler in the
scope for at least 15 minutes!!! We hear a Northern Waterthrush singing but
can't locate the bird . From there on out we all were feeling great about the
rest of the day.On to Cross Mtn., the first bird we see when we get out the
car is a singing Golden-wing Warbler again in the scope,Cerulean Warblers
seem to be all around, Rose-breasted Grosbeaks and Scarlet-tanagers
too.Chestnut-sided, Black and White,Blk-thr. Green, Hooded, Palm Warblers are
checked off quickly.Later we add Kentucky Warbler and Worm-eating Warbler to
our day list. After lunch some of die-hards head on up to the top of the mtn.
for an area of reclamation at 3000 ft.,a man made plateau of sorts, were we
have found Horned-larks and Grass-hopper Sparrows in the past and again we
not disappointed. We had 78 species for the day and what a day it was. Tony
Headrick Knoxville,Tn