[TN-Bird] My Neighbors, the Fox and the Crows

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, missbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ARBIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, albirds@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 08:28:02 EST

March 15, 2006
Bartlett, Shelby Co. TN

Yesterday morning, I heard a ruckus behind my house. Three Crows were
raising cane as I looked out the back door. The early morning sun was warming
the
ground and sitting just past the barn was my resident Red Fox. I am now
surrounded by urbanization and most of the wild life that used my space over
the
years has moved out but this fox showed up last year and dug a den inside my
barn. Every encounter is a joy and I'm sure it is doing well with all the food
my neighbors put out for their dogs. Years ago, I had a Gray Fox take up
residence for a few months and I enjoyed watching that cat like creature hunt
and
prey on small insects and furry things that scurried in the grass.

The Great Horned Owls that had nested the past few years on the back of my
property and would sit right out side my window at night and make  interesting
noises, while negotiating mating rights/rites, have evidently moved  away. Now
the Crows have moved in and built a nest in a Pine, not 50 feet from  my back
door. This morning, the Crow family had discovered the fox sitting  sleepily
by the barn, collecting the sun rays and they were now protesting their
neighbor's morning peace.

When I left for work, the Fox looked at me for a second and trotted into  the
barn, the Crows changed their tune and flew up to the Pine with
congratulatory comments on their success. Unfortunately, only I know that I'm
getting
ready to evict the fox by having to tear down the 125 year old barn and  start
building a house right next to the crows nest. We never appreciate  just how
much our actions cause ripples that radiate and affect so  many of our

Good Birding  !!!
Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6298 Memphis-Arlington Road
Bartlett, TN  38135